1917: Fort San Opens
When the Fort Qu’Appelle Sanatorium opened on October 10, 1917 there were beds for 60 patients. At its peak Fort San had space for approximately 358 patients.
The original San included an administration building, two pavilions, a powerhouse, and a residence. In 1918, the facility added an infirmary, four cottages, and a conservatory to accommodate soldiers returning from WWI in need of treatment.